12.14.2007

Eric’s Semi-Annual Blood Drive (Seriousness Level: Elevated)

I gave blood for the first time in mid-November. It was very rewarding, especially once they give you the statistics on blood donations and let you know how your blood could be used to save 3 lives. Some day I hope to meet one of these people and tell them we’re blood brothers and make them feel very awkward. But that’s only a wish.

This morning I called the American Red Cross of Middle Tennessee to schedule my next donation. That’s when it hit me. Why not bring somebody with me. So here’s my request to our loyal readers. I’ll be donating my life blood on Thursday, January 24th. My blood drive goal is to have one other person donate on the same day. ONE PERSON! The more the merrier, but I’m starting small. If you want to commit to this, send me a quick email to eadams@dovermotorsports.com and I’ll help you get registered at your local donation center.

Here are a three quick facts to guilt you into donating:

- Only 5% of the eligible US population donates blood in any given year.
- One donation can help save the lives of up to 3 people
- Nobody can ask you to do any heavy lifting as long as you have the bandage on. You can wear it for as long as you like. It's your badge of honor.

Finally from the Red Cross: Two most common reasons cited by people who don't give blood are: "Never thought about it" and "I don't like needles"

So I can’t help the needle part, but now you can no longer say you never thought about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are forgetting that once you donate they send you a blood donor card that officially recognizes you as an "Active Hero."

For all those times when others question your hero status, you can prove that you are indeed active. It comes in handy.

Shannon Adams said...

Lindsay you are hilarious!